Monday, February 06, 2006

There Winter Games Begin!

Today marked the beginning of a two week long series of events, the There Winter Games 2006! We compete on teams based on the color of our nametag and points are awarded for first, second, and third place in an event (Three points, two points, and one point, respectively). I'm on the green nametag team. I arrived too late to see the opening ceremonies (lighting of the torch) this afternoon, but I did get to participate in a couple of the day's first games. The first event was an avie roundup. The rules were simple: gather the most team members in one place to win! Green came in 3rd place and got 1 point towards our team score.

The next event was a skydiving competition! One at a time we hurled ourselves off a sky deck onto a bullseye below for 5, 10, 25, or 50 points. We each got two attempts. I was sooo close to the bullseye on both my jumps but, alas, I only got 25 points each time.

Unfortunately, green team didn't win any points at the end of the skydiving competition. But we came in first place in the next event! Mackieball!! The object was to bump Mackie into your team's goal using your buggy. I've never been to a more chaotic event. The funzone was filled to its limit with people trying to smash Mackie into their goal! About halfway through the event somebody from the gray nametag team accidentally knocked Mackie into our goal!! It was the only point scored during the entire event, but it was for green!! Gooo green!! By the end of the event people were dropping balls and dogs in the funzone to bump around with their buggies and the lag had gotten so horrible that I couldn't even tell where Mackie was. Her position seemed to update only every 30 seconds or so. One minute I was hitting her towards the green goal and the next I heard others saying she was near another goal and then poof! She warped elsewhere. But we won! :D

End of the day totals:
Green: 9
Blue: 4
Gray: 8
Mauve: 1
Yellow: 8


Jon Quixote was There.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was awesome at musical chairs.

Jon Quixote said...

I'm sure you were, Net.